How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I currently hold a valid EEA family permit (unmarried

This answer was rated:

I currently hold a valid EEA family permit (unmarried partner of an EU citizen) which is expiring on July 15th. A month ago I applied for a residency card in order to make things easier since it wasn't mandatory to have one (although, apparently now it is). The Home Office says they can take up to 6 months to make a decision regarding my application. Last week I received the CoA letter (certificate of application) saying that they could not confirm my right to work until a decision has been made about my residency card.
Our problem is that I already have a permanent job and I am afraid that after my EEA family permit expires I won't be able to prove my right to work to my employer.
My question is: Do I have to quit my job after the 15th of July? (date the EEA family permit expires)
Can you advise me on what I need to do to request a change to the CoA letter in order to confirm my right to work to my employer? Please keep in mind that I started working because I was granted an EEA family permit that allowed my to stay and work in the UK.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Was your permit valid for 6 months?
When did you receive the letter from the home office?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my EEA Family Permit is valid for 6 months (I believe most of them are only for that length, after which you can apply for the residency card).

The CoA letter (certificate of application) is dated 14 of May 2015 and I received it by post on 23 of May 2015.

Are you aware of any possible solutions so I can continue working while I wait for their decision regarding my application?

Many thanks.


Thank you for your reply.
Usually the home office does clearly state that an applicant is allowed to work and the onus is usually on the employer to view the documents and confirm that the employee has the correct documents to undertake employment.
It is for this reason I usually state to my clients to not work until the home office have explicitly stated that you have been given permission to work. In your case i would recommend to cease employment until the home office have given you written confirmation to undertaken employment. The fact is that the employer can ask you for confirmation from the home office and if they have not given this then you may be suspended or have your employment terminated.
I would recommend that you write to the home office asking them for permission to work, if this is given then fine you may continue employment, if not then I would recommend that you cease employment until either a decision is made or your application is accepted.
What usually happens is that the home office send this letter and shortly thereafter an second letter confirming your right to work in the UK, so it may just be worth waiting a little longer for the second letter.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Many thanks for your reply. I believe that the CoA is the second letter you refer to. This estates explicitly that they cannot confirm my right to work until a decision is been made because I am applying as an extended family member (unmarried partner).

The reason I started to work in the first place is because my EEA family permit explicitly allows me. I was expecting my CoA to continue granting me the right to work, because that is what it normally does to people who is waiting for an answer on their residency application. Nevertheless, apparently it cannot confirm my right to work, just because I am applying as an unmarried partner and not as any other of the options of family member.

I guess my question is if it is possible to continue employment by appealing the Home Office to consider my case because I am currently employed. Do you think that if my employer approaches them to expedite my residency card they could consider it?

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.
No i believe that this would not be the best way to proceed as your application will be granted on the basis of your relationship NOT on the basis of you having employment in the UK.
In my opinion it would be better to write a letter to home office asking them to grant you permission to work and stating how it would effect you if you were unable to undertake employment. This is exactly what I did for one of my clients and I was shortly sent a letter confirming the clients right to work.
I hope this clarifies the matter, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you