How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in London in a flat on an estate. My flat is raised

This answer was rated:

I live in London in a flat on an estate. My flat is raised one level so I need to go down a ramp to reach the street. A young man (probably aged 18 or 19 years) has a habit of persistently blocking me from gaining access to the ramp. He has done this 7 or 8 times. He is very tall (over six foot) and broad and he stands in front of me and won't let me pass. He then says, "If you touch me, it's sexual assault". This is then followed by a long rant about how he hates me and wants to kill me.
I have reported this to the police several times and written to his parents. I have made official complaints to the ALMO that manages the estate. I have found out his address and what I think his name is. I'm pretty sure I know where he goes to school. The police just say that it is anti-social behaviour. He does not live in my block and the ramp does not lead to his block so there is no reason for him to be on the ramp.
He did it again today with two of his friends. I was trying to collect my son from a club and they detained me by blocking the ramp for around ten minutes before they eventually allowed me to pass. I called my partner and asked him to be on the ramp when I returned with my son nearly an hour later. The ramp was clear and my partner was waiting so my son and I ran up the ramp. My neighbour whose house is at the top of the ramp came out to ask what happened earlier and I stopped briefly to tell her and then the young man ran up the ramp again and recommenced his verbal assault of me. My partner had a camera and tried to take his picture (the police had previously told me that unless we had a photo, they could not identify him) but the young man seized the camera from my partner and tried to run off with it. We rang the police and went back to our house. The young man brought our camera back to my neighbour's house about 30 minutes later when they saw the police coming. The young man had deleted all our family photos and broken the camera.
The police said the same thing they say every time this happens "Keep a list of incidents with dates, times and details. It is anti-social behaviour but we can't do anything except advise him to stay away from your house and the ramp." They did not think the young man had done anything wrong when re: deleting the photos and they said as he brought the camera back it was not theft. We did not realise immediately that the camera was broken. We realised this after the police left our house.
I do not understand why this young man can get away with blocking my exit from my flat to the street. Is there anything using the law which I can do to keep him away from my house? I have reported all the incidents to the police and have CAD numbers etc.
I also want to know if he committed a crime when he deleted our family photos and broke the camera. How do we tell the police now that the camera is broken ? Do we write to them with the CAD number? Surely you cannot take someone's camera and delete all their family photos ?
Previous incidents with this young man include him banging on my kitchen window and threatening to kill me. I have reported this to the police. There is no reason for him to be outside my kitchen- the walkway does not lead to his flat but he might say it is a right-of-way.
Please advise what can I do to encourage this young man to stop this behaviour.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do they rent or owner occupier please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are council tenants.

Have you complained to the council.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. As I stated above," I have made official complaints to the ALMO that manages the estate." ALMO means arms length management organisation- what councils had to set up to manage their ex-council stock.

I did not receive a reply from the council other than an acknowledgement.

When was this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

December 2013 and Nov 2014

Ok. You need to write and make a formal complaint, ask them that it is investigated and they actually take action. They must stop others causing annoyance or distress. If they do not or refuse you can then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.
They can investigate the matter for you for free and are independent of the AMLO. They can be contacted at:
That should resolve the matter for you.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Yes- is there a legal name for blocking someone from exiting their home? This is my main issue and what he does again and again.

The police said their was no crime committed when the young man took our camera, deleted all our family photos and broke the camera. I cannot believe this. Please clarify. Surely deleting someone's photos is the same as stealing them ?

I would like to have him banned from coming up onto my terrace. Is there a legal term for this?

Could I have him banned from approaching me again or threatening me ?

1) Yes it is called nuisance.
2) This is a civil matter it appears rather than criminal. However potentially it could be assault if you feared violence.
3) Banned, yes it is called an injunction.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.