How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I come from France to work in London, I rented a room using

This answer was rated:

I come from France to work in London, I rented a room using estate agent in London.
The contract was for 3 Month fixed from 􏰐􏰁􏰗􏰂􏰑􏰗􏰑􏰂􏰐􏰃􏰐􏰁􏰗􏰂􏰑􏰗􏰑􏰂􏰐􏰃􏰐􏰁􏰗􏰂􏰑􏰗􏰑􏰂􏰐􏰃14/02/2015 to 13/05/2015 with one month notice for cancelation.
I had extend my contract one more month (13/06/2015). So i send them an email asking for extension on 8 May and telling them that i will be leaving on 13/06/2015. They answer back agreeing to request and told me that they send a month extension contract.
I never get the extension contract. Now they are saying i did not give the notice on time and contract get automatically renew to the initial terms which 3 months.
I do not want to stay at this room after 12/06/2015 and they holding my deposit saying they refund in case if move before three month.
Is there anything i can do?
Sanjeev Kana
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether the current agreement say it automatically renews?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Their nowhere in the contract which said it renew automatically if the notice to leave is not giveen.

Many thanks for your help


Ok. Then they can NOT make you stay for the 3 months. You can stay for the 1 month extra , leave and ask for the deposit back.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the deposit within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.