How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was punched in the face by a neighbour 4 days ago after

This answer was rated:

I was punched in the face by a neighbour 4 days ago after he hit my car. The police were called and asked me if I wanted to press charges. I said no at the time but I am going through a lot of pain and nose bleeds and I have had mental stress. I want to press charges now and get some justice as this person may be a violent person habitually and should be punished. Can I still press charges and how to do it? Can I get compensation for his actions?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How long ago was this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thank you for assisting.

The incident took place on Sunday 24 May at 12.00 noon.

just a few days ago

You are in time to pursue his under the statutory time periods.
However, if you have tod the police that you do not want to support a prosecution then I'm afraid they are not likely to revive it now.
It depends exctly what has happened as to whether they can in law. If he has been formally NFAed then it cannot be revived. If he just was not arrested because you were not interested then in principle it could be but they may well be reluctant. You could complain. There is no real reason for their reluctance except fundamentally that victims of proper crime like this are playing second fiddle to victims of nonsense political crime like people who have perfectly normal deomstic rows and euphemistically call them 'abuse; or people who were kissed by somebody 100 years ago. Resources should not be wasted upon things like that as opposed to proper meritorious crime and so you could and should complain.
Whether it will achieve anything is another matter.
You couldalways bring a private prosecution but there is expense in that.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need to know on how to approach the police to press charges as I was not in a sound position after the assault to press charges at the time.
As I have said, you canot force them.
If you have told them you don't want to then probably they won't agree now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What does NFAed mean

Thank you. You have left a negative rating but asked for more information which seems inconsistent. I will be happy to carry on with this if the negative rating was a mistake. I know thats easy to do as I’ve done it myself in other categories.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
NFA means no further action.