How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am about to get married and would like some advice

Customer Question

I am about to get married and would like some advice about my financial situation.
I own my own flat and have about £80,000 in savings. I am 60 and my husband to be is 76. I am looking ahead to later in life and the possibility of one or both of us needing nursing care.
Will my husband assume joint ownership of my property on our marriage? And would I have to use my savings to provide for any residential care we might need or would this be provided for us and then retrieved from the sale of the flat on the death of the second of us to pass away?
I would be glad of any advice you can give me.
Many thanks
Penny Valentine
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you intending to keep all your assets separate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think so - unless you advise otherwise


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Your husband does not have an automatic claim on your assets the moment he marries you.
However the longer you are together the more likely it is that he would have a claim in the event of a divorce or your death
Provided you keep your assets entirely separate then you will not be in anyway responsible for the costs of your husband's care, only for your own.
If you are the one who has to go into care then your husband will be able to remain in your home so long as he is wishes to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details