How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am writing this on behalf of my son. My son has separated

This answer was rated:

I am writing this on behalf of my son.
My son has separated from his partner and his ex is refusing him access of any kind to their two children who are 7 and 4 years old. He ideally wants access and to have the children 2 or 3 nights per week on a regular basis. He is not currently paying child support but is willing to do so as long as the money is used for the children. His ex partner claims to have the children every night but in reality they are left with her mother on numerous occasions. He would therefore like to establish a parental responsibility agreement and regular access on agreed days/nights to establish a regular routine as he thinks this is the correct thing to do.
His ex has made false accusations to the police and after being arrested my son was released with no charge to answer. The police were going to have strong words with his ex but we are not aware if this has happened.
Advice appreciated on how to tackle this issue.
Pete Cairns (Concerned Grandfather)
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your son named on the birth certificates?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - my son is named as the father on both of his childrens birth certificates.

The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this is if necessary.
Your son already has Parental responsibility for his children - what needs to happen is that he and his ex need to agree how the children should share their time between them - setting in place a Parenting Plan if possible.
His starting point is to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a Family mediator
If his ex will not mediate then he can then apply for a Child Arrangement Order which can then be enforced.
he can read more here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you