How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Mum has been suffering from Dementia

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is Kevin,
My Mum has been suffering from Dementia for some years now and after a 6 week care home trial period has been accepted into a care home with her social worker and my families approval. I have two Sister's and one Brother all in agreement as to my Mum's future care plan.
I have been dealing with my Mum's day to day finances by being a joint account holder of her bank account. I am now trying to obtain the ability to handle all my Mum's financial affairs, Santander ISA, R.B.S. & Santander Shares, Legal & General Income Bonds etc.
My Mum would never sign any Power of Attorney in the past as she was paranoid that as soon as she signed any paperwork she would be locked up in a home.
Can you please tell me how I go about obtaining P.O.A. when my Mum does not have the mental capacity to sign, all the information I am reading talk about what to do before you lose the mental capacity to act ?
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that you are correct - there is no longer the option of dealing with this using a Power of Attorney.
Instead you are going to have to complete the forms to be appointed as her Deputy by the Court Of Protection
More details here
I hope this is of assistance - please ask if you need more help
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you