How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What are the rules regarding divorce?? What grounds are needed,

This answer was rated:

What are the rules regarding divorce?? What grounds are needed, when the injured party has no money of their own?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have they been married and why to then now believe that the marriage is at an end
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This lady is Chinese but lived in Japan for most of her life - she met her husband while on holiday over here.

They have been married for about 2 years but not happily. He is a bully and is unkind to her - gives her no money - she has had to get a job so that she can buy her choice of food, as he will only buy what he likes. She is very meek and never stands up to his bullying and does not like to ask for help but is desperate to get out of the marriage and return home. Apparently, she cannot return to Japan unless she gets divorced.

Did they live together prior to the marriage if so for how long?
What is the financial position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help so far, but I cannot continue as I don't have the in-depth knowledge needed.

Please, therefore, cancel my request for your advice.

I am sorry to have taken up your time.

Would it help if I gave a you a basic overview which may allow you to give some guidance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That would be very useful.

She has been told (not sure by whom) that she needs to live separated from him for 2 years before she can apply for a divorce - is this correct?

That is one of the grounds - but it is not the only one.
Your friend would be able to issue an immediate petition based on her husband's Unreasonable Behaviour
You can read more here
The financial issues can be dealt with at a later date
Please ask if there is more information that might assist
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you