How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was shown a txt message by a freind which was from another

This answer was rated:

I was shown a txt message by a freind which was from another person. In the txt it contained what I beleive are libel statements about myself. My freind does not want to get involved and wont give me a copy of txt. What can I do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You could, in principle, seek an injunction forcing either your friend or more likely the provider company to hand over the text. If they context that it will cost in excess of £2,000.
If you then pursue the other person for defamation that will cost in excess of £10k.
There is no legal aid for either application as civil legal aid has really collapsed now.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The issue that I read was that this other person in the txt was stating that my family (the Panes) were a all liars and that the lies would be unfolding as we speak and that my friend should no longer have any contact with my family. Is this Libal?

Also we have the two mobile phone numbers but not the provider how would we get the provider?

Not really to be wholly honest.
Accusing somebody of lying is capable of being defamatory but not really in these circumstances.
Bear in mind that defamation involves saying something so serious and so publicly that it would cause you to be shunned by reasonable people. Examples include things like false allegations of sexual abuse.
If you are intent then accusing a person of lying is capable of being defamation but usually only in a professional capacity.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Between the women and her husband they have been causing my family hell. The husband has been telling friends of mine that I assaulted a friend of his. I have written statements of this and in fact his friend has given a police statement that I did not. Help how can I stop these people by either codes of law?

It depends how far you are prepared to pursue this.
You could sue for defamation. That is expensive.
I suppose you could sue for harassment which is cheaper but generally not so easy to show.