How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have become one of the five trustees after my husband died.

Customer Question

I have become one of the five trustees after my husband died. I am entitled to enjoy rent and the property left to my 3 children by 1st marrige.
For unhealthy family reason i want to disclaim the property which in trust. Can I disclaim it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You are indeed legally entitled to disclaim your legacy, which I guess is a life interest. You need to do this by the preparation of a Deed of Variation. The Deed, in effect, changes the terms of your husband's Will, post death.

It is a relatively straight forward process for a Solicitor to prepare and is likely to cost approx £250-£350 plus VAT.

Please note the Deed will need to be signed and dated within 2 years from the date of your husband's death.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards