How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a problem with a removal company

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam,
I have a problem with a removal company called Pearson.
I 2012 we moved to New Zealand.
As you would do I got a quotation from 3 or 4 removal company, the company would send some one , who would estimate and calculate.
The best quotation we got was from Pearson at aprox. 7000 pounds. for house hold and 2 cars and this will arrive in New Zealand in 4 to 6 weeks from the removal date.
The removal was scheduled for 03/08/2012, and we bought our tickets to new Zealand to travel on 04/08/2012.
Pearson came and collected the goods and the cars.
In the same day aprox. 4 hours after the collected the goods, I received a phone call from Pearson, telling me that the can,t fit all my goods in the container and I have to choose wether they leave some items back in the storage and I have to pay for the storage or the change the container to a bigger container and I have to pay aprox. 3000 pounds.
I did not know what to do and told them if they could do something with the price, they said the last price would be 2000 pounds.
They forced me and pressurised me to pay this money.
The hospital I was going to work for arranged free accommodation and car for 4 weeks, there after I have to pay.
Before the 4 week ended I contacted them, they said couple of weeks and the container will be there, so I continued paying for the furnished accommodation and for the car, which has continued for another 10 weeks.
So I have to pay for their delay 300 NZD x 10weeks 3000 NZD, = 1500 pounds and for the furnished house extra 200 x 10 weeks = 2000 NZD = 1000 pounds.
After 14 weeks the goods arrived on 25/10/2012.
It was a disaster, as many of the furniture pieces were damaged and broken, clothes and Mattresses were wet and dirty. The cars were scratched and one has a new big dent.
The New Zealand subcontractor company Conroy could not believe the negligence in packaging, they also took pictures and documented some of the damage.
Further we founds loads of boxes were empty and only filled with pack paper, which explains why the smaller 25 feet container was not enough for my house hold.
I have standard insurance and made the claim, but after more than 6 months they would pay 310 pounds in compensation.
The financial damage alone this people caused is as followed:
2000 pounds they forced me to pay.
2500 pound for furnished house and car rental.
Replacing clothes and some kitchen and bath ware 500 pounds.
Damage to house hold goods and cars 4100 Pounds, which would make 9100 pounds, only the financial losses.
In addition the trauma they have caused to us.
Now we are back in Manchester, our container from New Zealand arrived in 5 weeks without any trouble.
We want justice for what this company has done to us, please let us know how we should proceed.
Kind Regards
Dr Emad Bakir
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello Emad my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

What I want to achieve is get them pay for the damage they caused to me and to my family.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.