How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My wife was raped and sexually assaulted by a friend/employee

This answer was rated:

My wife was raped and sexually assaulted by a friend/employee who lived in our home, he was arrested and questioned then bailed to his family in the Orkney islands, 6 months later the police have decided his word is better than my wife's and in 3 weeks are going to release him from police bail. We all know he will come straight back to terrorise or intimidate us or worse carry out his threats of revenge, he isn't a nice person. are the police obliged or can they help us obtain an injunction or restraining order preventing him from coming near her? as you can imagine she is a real mess.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Once the matter is NFAed against him the police have no power to act against him at all. They cannot impose either an injunction or a restraining order.
If he does take any retaliatory action though then there are offences in that. It is very unlikely that will happen. Despite what you read in the papers that almost never happens.
What is more likely is that he will look at some form of civil action against your wife for making the allegation. That is a possibility.
If he does take any steps to contact her she could seek an injunction from the civil courts but she would have to pay to do so although it is not going to be anything like £15k.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I have sent letters to the heads of all departments demanding answers as to why the investigation was so shoddy and full of lies to both myself and my wife who has had her life destroyed by not only the vile person who did this but also the police as well.
I wouldn't get invovled in thsi if I were you. You just worry about you. You are the important person in this. If she wants to complain she can do so herself without placing you at risk.
Don't get involved with him either. Don't place yourself at risk at all.