How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have been in holiday 25 days, but i did not

Customer Question

I have been in holiday for about 25 days, but i did not tell my neighbours. On my return, I've found that at my neighbour's request, police has broken into my flat to see if I was ok, or in need of medical attention, or even dead.
I understand the concern, but now I am left with a damage that will cost me nearly £1000 to put right.
I have written to Police, but they refuse to pay, or even contribute to the repair costs.
I have never been in this situation before and I don't know if Police have the right to do this and not pay, or even contribute to the cost for the repairs.
Please, if you could help me to clarify this situation.
Many thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid the police have no legal liability to pay for the cost of repairs to your door.
You should see if there is any insurance cover which will pay e.g. Buildings insurance, if not, you will have to foot the bill yourself.
Sorry but I can only advise you truthfully.