How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in rural Perthshire i have lived in my rented property

This answer was rated:

i live in rural Perthshire i have lived in my rented property for 15 years,and I have never missed a payment,my landlord has never really done very much to improve the property,it needs new heating and the windows are completely rotten,however I love my home,he has now dropped a bombshell he is selling the property,do I have any legal rights.
Thank you for your question.
You don't have to leave your home just because the landlord is selling it. He may have to sell the property subject to the lease that you have.
Thereafter, the legal position is whether you have to leave depended on the type of lease you have and whether any formal steps are taken to end that lease.
In general terms you are likely to have either:
1. A short assured tenancy lease, or,
2. An assured tenancy lease.
If you have the first of these, this landlord can terminate the lease at the end of the "ish" which is the natural termination date, usually the renewal date.
If you have an assured tenancy, the landlord can only terminate the lease if you are in breach of the lease in some way.
These are the general rules. I am happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for your help -it is a short assured tenancy -but I cannot find anything at present with my paperwork that says I renewed it 10 years ago or when he increased the rent-I have just finished night duty so will respond again later in the day-Thankyou so far .

If it is a short assured tenancy and then it can be terminated by giving two months notice prior to the anniversary date. The rule is that if the lease is not actively renewed it will simply continue to renew itself for the same over and over and over again until one or other of the parties gives notice. That is called tacit relocation in Scots law.
I look forward to hearing from you further.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you