How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I brought a suite from DFS and a month later when I moved it

This answer was rated:

I brought a suite from DFS and a month later when I moved it to hoover I found a rip in the back I rang to tell them that I didn't want a suit with a top in it and they said there is no returns policy but the suit is damaged and I am not paying for a repaired suit, plus the quality is really bad and it uncomfortable. What are my rights
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
1. The Law
- Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 S.14 there is an implied term in any sale of goods that goods are of reasonable quality and fit for purpose;
- This includes being free of minor defects;
2. The remedy
- You are entitled under S.48 to insist on a repair or replacement of the goods.
3. Next steps:
- You should write to them and say that they have provided you with a faulty item and are in breach of their statutory obligations to you;
- I would start by demanding a return of the goods and refund but do bare in mind the seller is entitled to repair or replace the goods.
- I would say to the seller if they do not respond with a reasonably proposal to remedy this situation you reserve the right it:
(a) Commence a claim in the county court to recover your losses or
(b) Complaint to trading standards
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you