How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I want to appeal against a CCJ that has been added to my

This answer was rated:

I want to appeal against a CCJ that has been added to my credit file 2 months ago.
I was totally unaware of the judgement until my credit check failed as part of screening for new employment. I discovered that it was raised by a lawyer I worked with over 5 years ago and left on bad terms with. I never received any documentation since he has been writing to my old address.
Apart from that, I have never been informed by him that I owe him any money. He was aggressive and didn't do his job properly so I changed my lawyer. His conduct was poor with other clients too which I witnessed while sitting in his office few times. He used aggression on clients and also doesn't inform them of actual cost and ask for much more money after the case than they were aware of.
He hasn't asked any monies from me in the last 5 years and 4 months ago he suddenly raised a claim for monies and put CCJ on my file.
I want to know what are my chances of winning the case. I will be fighting for the judgement be set aside as I was unaware of the matter and I don't owe the monies.
My main worry is that this gentleman is very cunning and he will produce false paperwork to prove that i owe him monies. He is an established lawyer and would find some excuse to why he's not asked for the monies in the last 5 years.
please advice.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did you pay him for the work he did?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. He sought order of sale enforcement for me in the local county court. I paid for the barrister, and monies for preparing for the hearing that he had asked for. He was also granted monies by the court.

But I remember that after the hearing, he asked for more monies stating that more work was done and the monies granted by the court doesn't cover his cost.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to add that I had the understanding that I owe nothing to him at all. And, that is the reason he's never asked me for monies in the past 5 years. If he felt I owe him monies and he wasn't happy with the last payment i made to him, then he would have sued me much earlier.

My memories are weak on what exactly happened with regards ***** ***** and the quality of his work. But i remember one of my hearing got cancelled since he didn't complete the paper work correctly. That was my argument of not paying him extra after the matter as it was his fault two hearings had to take place. he had accepted that then. But either he didn't remember 5 years later and stumbled upon my old file and felt like he can extract more monies from me now.

I see the expert has opted out. What else do you want to know ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well i need answer to my question.

I want to know if in my situation it's worth appealing against the CCj on two grounds:

1. It was sent to the wrong address i.e. my previous address and i never received any communication.

2. i don't owe this money as matter is from 5 years ago and there was a verbal understanding between the parties that no money is owed.

please respond as per my original question and additional information i have provided.


Was it Judgment in default?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes for non payment. i have already given full information earlier.

Then yes you can apply to set aside. You need to use form N244:
The fact it was sent to the wrong address means the Court must set it aside, there has not been good service and it is called an irregular Judgment.
If you dont owe the money then you also have a valid defence.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as i said earlier, the communication between this lawyer and myself only happened verbally during my last meeting with him about 5 years ago.

he asked for extra monies after the hearing that he did work for me.

I declined due to extra work being his own fault since he failed to compete the paperwork which led to two hearings instead of one.

then due to his aggressive nature, i moved solicitor and have never heard from him in the last 5 years. He was obviously in agreement at that time. However, he may produce all sorts of documents claiming I owe him money.

I don't have any evidence of that verbal communication. My only defence is that he hasn't ever asked for monies in the past 5 years. His is a well established practice. now, he has suddenly decided to sue for non-payment when I honestly struggle to remember details of the case properly.

is my defence strong enough? he's asking for lot of monies about £3000+ which is ridiculous for 1 enforcement hearing when a lot money was already paid to him.

Yes all you need to show is that you have some defence. Then it will be set down for a final trial. The Claimant must show on balance you owe the money.
It is for HIM to prove you owe it.
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I need further information on how to proceed with N244 or any other ways to have CCJ removed, defend in the final charging order hearing and also what kind of proof would be useful in my defence.

Please read my history to understand my case.

In short, I did business with a lawyer in year 2010 and I moved on from this lawyer because of dissatisfaction with his work and also due to his aggressive nature.

Now, 4 years later, out of blue moon, he's raised a claim for money against me. I only found out 6 months after he started chasing me for money because I moved home since June 2010 so I never received any paper work. I found out when my credit history was checked by my employer and a CCJ has been found.

I filed N244 a month later. In the mean time, this lawyer secured an interim charging order against my house( address he has, it has been rented out since last 5 years).

My N244 was dismissed along with the interim charging order because we both failed to attend the hearing . I because I only found out 2 days before the hearing( court letters don't get to me. I have to call the court to find out).

Now, there is another hearing pending soon because the claimant has again applied for the final charging order.

I am planning to file another N244 claiming I don't owe any monies. I am planning to take my credit history report to proof my 100% clean credit history. I am also going to take some proof of work carried out by this guy and also the monies he received from the court and also me 5 years ago.

do you think this is the right route? what else can I do to defend myself?

he had secured an interim and final charging order on my ex's property 5 years ago and the judgment debt shows about 3500 pounds. He had never gave me that bill in the past!! seems like newly constructed.

how can i ask the judge to reassess his cost?