How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Ok I would like to gift my daughter 50k as deposit to buy

This answer was rated:

Ok I would like to gift my daughter 50k as deposit to buy her own property. She is on benefits, only works 1 hour a day at a school. Can she purchase a property and not lose her benefits. She has one daughter 8 years old.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Which benefits is she receiving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo
In response, she gets housing benefit, child benefit, council tax reduction, and child tax credit. Thank you for your attention.
I am very sorry but those are means tested benefits. Upon a means tested benefit you have to declare your means.
If she is 50k then all means tested benefits would stop immediately as that is just plain over the threshold.
If she purchases a property then she might be able to get housing benefit to pay the interest on that property although not repayment as long as it doesn't exceed her needs. However, all other means tested benefits would stop as she has a property.
I am very sorry but I'm afraid the benefits system is for people without means.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u for your response. On a day to day, and month to month basis she does need assistance but this 50k is a gift for deposit on a property only, it wouldn't even go into her account., the mortgage would probably be less than the rent on her rented property. Anyway, I can't see any way she can go forward with this, thank u for your help.
Mrs young
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you