How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have received a letter of authority - from a company that

Customer Question

I have received a letter of authority - from a company that provided me with a hire car after i was involved in an accident (not my fault). This company has sent me forms to fill out as they are saying that they want to act on my behalf to claim monies back - outstanding charges. Do I need to do this? I thought my insurance covered everything?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Does this letter mention "Subrogation"?
What fees do they want to claim back?
Is this a claims handling company?
Can you post a copy of the letter into this link?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as i can tell it's the legal side of an insurance company who is claiming from another insurance company

I can't see see the word subrogation anywhere...

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Have you actually had to pay out these charges?
Do you want to re claim these charges?
I cannot actually see any reason why you are obligated to sign this.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They're saying the that I don't have to pay the charges but they need my authorization to get the charges from the third party involved they are saying that if I don't sign it then I will become liable.
It's one insurance company trying to get their money from another insurance company and I'm stuck in the middle
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
The hire car surely was provided by your insurance company?
I would only therefore sign this if your insurance company ask you to.
Do you have a personal injury in relation to this accident?
If you do sign this I would ask the solicitor to confirm you will not be liable for any cost, losses, fees or legal expenses (including court fees) associated with bringing a claim on your behalf.
Kind regards