How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have stupidly taken money from my last employer,what do i

This answer was rated:

I have stupidly taken money from my last employer,what do i do ?,can i go to the police
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I worked for a family nursery as the manager for 5/6 years,in the past two years i have been depressed and ill,Silly i have taken cash payments and not recorded them.I left the company in March 15,as i couldn't cope with the over all stress ,but they have contacted me with these issues saying they will report me to the police and the SFO.The amount they have said is around £3000.I have offered to pay the money back,so therefore admitted to taking the money

I have never been in trouble with the law before and have had an outstanding work ethic.

My CRB is currently clear.

I have a new job as a dentist receptionist,i'm concerned this will impact on this job.

Do you accept it was £3k?
How long did it go on for?
Are you able to repay ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes that i know for a fact,but they say its been going on loner when it hasn't

12 months.

Yes i can,i haven't spent it,which i have told them but they are having none of it,they said that if i don't tell the police by 9am Wednesday 10th June 15 they will call the please and the fraud team

Well, you telling the police achieves nothing. They will just tell you that you they have no report to investigate. They would have to make a complaint. You can hand yourself in then.
It is not the biggest sum of money as these things go but there is obviously a breach of trust issue. If you can repay and you do so then that will be helpful.
Realistically though, this is going to affect your job I'm afraid. The only way it will not is if you can persuade them not to complain to the police. I suppose there is the outside chance the police could just offer a caution. I have seen them do that on occasions but not often.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They won't except that they want me to go to the police or they will.

i a have only been in this new job for the past few months,so my new employer doesn't know anything,should i tell them,or just go to the police station ?

Its a small family firm and yes its about trust & showing people the example they have made me.

You can go to the police but they will probably say there is no report for them to consider.
In terms of your employer, if your contract requires you to disclose then you must. If you not you don't need to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So do they have to report it ?

So if i went and handed myself in, this would hold no weight,but i could ask the police to contact the family concerned to start a report would they do that or would they consider this a waste of time.

No. But they clearly intend to.
You could ask the police to do that but they are not likely to. They tend not to chase crime reports if the victims cannot be bothered to do it themselves unless, of course, it is a complaint arising from a domestic squabble which is euphemistically called abuse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what do i do ?

worried to death !!!!!

If they want you to go and report it then you can do that.
You cannot make the police act.
I suppose if you do report yourself they might not be willing to agree to assist which would resolve it. That is obviously not likely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please tell me what you would do ? not have done it in the first place i know.

Would the serious fraud office get involved as well ?

i'm not a bad person just had a bad depressive year,my mother died,my marriage broke down.

No, it would just go to the CID.
If you have tried to negotiate and they will not agree then you could go and hand yourself in. Then call them back and tell them you have done what they asked. They may not take any other action although obviously that is not likely.
The other alternative is just to wait for police contact.
I would never normally tell anybody to hand themselves in but since they seem to be saying that they wil lif you do not it is your only chance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

if i have a question after the visit can i ask you please

Yes, no problem.
Come back when you like.
Please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I as them to sent all the corespondents & evidence they have so I can take it with me .Can they refuse to let me see it.
Who ?
The police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No my ex employers if they have all the papers surely I should be able to read it and forward I t to the police,as you said the police can't look in to anything in less they have a paper trail.So have I the right to ask for everything they have gathered .If they have .Or could I say that I will get a solicitor & they can forward it to him,instead of involving the police, at the moment
You can ask. Anybody can ask anything.
You don't have the right to demand anything though I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But if they have the documents wouldn't it be better for me to take them to the police.Aslo I need to know what the are saying .
do I go into the wrong doings that I have with the company at the police visit
No, not really. Since you cannot deny the allegation there isn't much point in taking anything.
In any event, you don't have a right to demand anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this be a prison sentence in your opinion
Theft from employer usually is but probably not if it is only £3k.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you not what I wanted to here
As I have left nearly 4 months ago can I question any details they bring do I know those details haven't been changes to look like it's more
Well, that could have happened.
That is why you don't make admissions until they have laid bare their case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I complete deny all to the police
You can't lie to the police. You can only either tell the truth or say nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I get a solicitor to get in touch with them and not go to the ploice
I'm not sure to what end?
You can do that but what would it achieve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So i can see what allocation they have

I'm a little unsure if they will go to the police,i know quite a lot about this family company.i know there is a face book page of parents who write about their experience with this company.( not always good ).Mostly about their billing system

No, as I have said, you cannot demand their evidence at this stage.
If you think they won't go to the police then try to keep negotiating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

No problem.
All the best.