How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner of more than 12 years has decided she doesn't

This answer was rated:

My partner of more than 12 years has decided she doesn't want to be together any more and want to split. She is demanding the house be sold. Can she force me to sell if I want to stay here. I can't afford to buy her out as I am self employed and bearly make a living ad it is. Over the years I admit she had paid far more of the mortgage than I have as she probably earns 4-5 times what I do. I have paid what I could afford and done all the work on the house and garden since we moved in.if I am forced to sell am I entitled to 50% even then I haven't matched her pound for pound over the years. Please advise me if you can as I'm so worried about everything at the moment. Many thanks.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Are you married and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thankyou for replying to my message.

We are not married and no children. The house is worth around 155k last time it was valued about a year ago and 58k left on the mortgage.hope this helps .thanks


At the time that the property was purchased was any agreement made about how the equity would be divided in the event of a sale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No agreement was made no

I am afraid that if your ex applies to the Court for an Order for sale then it will be granted, so it will be better if you can negotiate a time frame within which you will place the property on the Market so that you have as much control as is possible in the circumstances.
You are entitled to 50% of the sale proceeds
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you