How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We wish to buy a house with our son. We would provide 65% of

This answer was rated:

We wish to buy a house with our son. We would provide 65% of the purchase price through the sale of our property with our son taking out a mortage for the rest.
What is the best way to go about this, and what are the risks involved?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

It is possible to proceed as you state, but the problem to overcome is your son's Mortgage Lender. Before granting any Mortgage, they will want an assurance that no other party (ie you) to have any financial interest in the property.

Therefore the 65% would have to given as a gift to your son, and his Mortgage Lender will require a letter from you confirming it is a gift and that it is not repayable.

Your son's Mortgage could then proceed in the normal fashion and he could proceed with his purchase.

From your point of view, therefore, the risk is that you would have no financial interest in the property, so if your son got into financial trouble, for example, and the proeprty was repossessed, you would have no legal claim on your 65%.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you