How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good morning I have an ex business associate who wants £5K

This answer was rated:

Good morning
I have an ex business associate who wants £5K from me from the sale of a property which I wholly own. It was promised by me which I accept, but was always subject to the sale which hasn't yet gone through. His actions are now getting more aggressive, and he has given me a week to come up with it "or else!". I have recorded evidence on my phone. Can I get a restraining order via a local solicitor? or any other suggestions welcomed!
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know how many threats he has made please?
How come he wants £5k?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They've just been general reminders, but as the months have gone on, they have become more intimidating, culminating in a threat to put a fork lift through the front grill of my car on Friday. I needed him off the plot of land as his employees were stealing! The £5K was to pacify the situation and to contribute toward his costs to remove 3 shipping containers from my site

Ok, but there is no Court Judgment for anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Alex. I haven't felt I've needed it....up until now!

Sorry I mean there is no Court Judgment against you for the £5k?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely not. It was only a verbal agreement

Ok, then you dont need to worry. You can refuse to make any payment and save for going to Court there is nothing he can do. If he is harassing you then potentially you can seek a Court injunction to stop him. Ideally you would need a letter from a Solicitor first warning that if he does not stop you will seek a Court order.
If he refuses then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can issue a claim using form N1
And N16a
The Court will list the matter and decide to make an injunction. If the Court does and he breaches it, this is contempt of Court and he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, that's great Alex. I'll happily give you some SmileSmileSmile faces for your advice. Do I have to go via the site if I need to use your services again?



Hi Brian, sadly yes but you can post any future questions for me, just start it - FOR ALEX W
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.