How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother has just passed away. Am I allowed access to her

Customer Question

My mother has just passed away. Am I allowed access to her bank account to pay for funeral.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You are not allowed Access as such, but if you take the Funeral Directors bill to the bank/building society they will issue a Counter cheque to pay it.
However if there is a Will then this is for the named executors to deal with
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If there is no Will does the bank keep her money?

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
No Not at all!
If there is no Will then her spouse or you (or one of your siblings if you have one) can deal with the Estate.
This may mean obtaining Letters of Administration of the Estate - or just filling in the bank's forms if the Estate is only small
More details here