How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am splitting from my partner of four years we are not married

This answer was rated:

I am splitting from my partner of four years we are not married and have no children. We have lived together in rented accommodation, the property we currently live in has been for approx two years. A member of my family owns the property and we pay rent on a monthly basis. From moving in in approx july 2013-September 2014 my partner paid all of the expenses. I returned to work in September 2014 and took financial responsibility of the rent and council tax ever since and he has paid all other bills, electricity gas etc. My partner is now attempting to make me set up payments to him to reimburse him for the period of time when he paid all expenses on his own. He states that as there in a tenancy agreement in place i am responsible for 50% of the rent since day one and he can prove he paid it from his account only until September 2014. Both of our names are ***** ***** tenancy agreement, however it is for no fixed period and the landlord requires no notice period. Is he able to seek legal representation and pursue me for this money? I initiated the split and hoped we could just go our separate ways but my ex partner is now threatening to harm myself and the property if i do not pay him this money he believes i owe him. Any advice would be greatly Appreciated.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I have to ask - did you ever promise to repay him for the period you were unemployed?
Why were you out of work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At no point was it agreed in writing or verbally that i would repay him we were a couple and he was more than happy to pay all the bills. He at the time was earning enough money to cover all expenses. He changed jobs due to redundancy and took a drop in salary. Before September 2014 i was receiving carers allowance and working on an adhoc basis. At the point we realised we did not have the disposable income we once did i entered into full time work.
In that case there is no basis on which he can successfully sue you for the money.
If he ocntinues to threaten harm to you or your property then report the matter to the police.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you