How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am being taken to court and I would like to offer to

This answer was rated:

I am being taken to court and I would like to offer to settle out of court. What should I say?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a bit of a long story. My landlady/ agent wouldn't release my deposit at the end of the tenancy. I ended up approaching the tenancy deposit scheme which took months to conclude that I should be returned my full deposit. Now the agent is taking me to court for some fictitious bills. His only defence is that there are some items I was due to pay for such as window cleaning and oven cleaning but they never sent me a bill or contacted me regards ***** ***** just retained my deposit.
The court asked if we were interested in a free mediation service. We both said yes but there was no space available so we proceed to court. I thought I could offer say £50 without prejudice to try and settle out of court.
Yes. You can write and make an offer to settle. But you need to title it: Without Prejudice save as to costs.
Therefore once you make this it cant be disclosed to the Court. Therefore you can make a written offer (and make sure it is in writing) and you can settle.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex. What happens if they show the letter to the court?
Am I ok to write and copy via email? Do I need to use recorded delivery?
What happens if they reply via email?
They can't the Judge wont want to see it. You can send it by email only, you dont need a hard copy. No need to send recorded.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have now recieved a letter from the Judge. See attached. Please advise what it means.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot add files for some reason.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before the judge.....upon it appearing that Claimant may be the Letting Agency and not the Landlord.
1. By 4pm 3 July 2015 Claimant shall clarify in writing whether it is the Letting Agency and if so the basis upon which it is entitled to issuing this claim.
2. A party affected by this order may within 7 days of service of it upon him apply to the Court to have it set aside, varied or stayed.
Dated 22 June 2015
(Letter dated 26 June 2015)