How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am being constantly subjected to slander by the ex-wife of

This answer was rated:

I am being constantly subjected to slander by the ex-wife of my partner, causing me stress and severe embarrassment. Comments (by email and text all completely vile and untrue) include accusations of damage to her car, sex with other men (for financial gain), cruelty to animals, constant name calling...
I am very soon to move house to be closer to my new partner but already I feel unable to socialise and enjoy life in his area due the unpleasantness she is causing - she also repeats these lies to others in an attempt to try to turn them against me and stop me having new friends.
Do you think a solicitors letter to her in the first instance would be appropriate?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you reported any comments to the Police please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I haven't - I was thinking that a solicitors letter to her in the first instance would probably have the greatest effect. I'm not sure the police would be very interested?!

Yes you can get a Solicitor to write a letter. This may do the trick. Sadly if you want to sue for slander/libel its an expensive process. The claim would cost you around £15,000 to take to trial. If you lose then you are liable for the costs of the other side.
Therefore a Solicitors letter is going to be cheaper and can may do the job for you. People can just be petty and really they should get on with their life.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.