How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If a particular car lets say a London taxi tx4 has a propensity

This answer was rated:

if a particular car lets say a London taxi tx4 has a propensity to blow up .i.e seize its engine and it transpires that a large no in the hundreds as of May 2015 of these vehicles have seized whilst driving with passengers on board thus causing potential safety issues to passengers, driver and other road users ,especially on motorway .
who is responsible for checking the safety record of this engine ,( bearing in mind it is a marine engine designed for boats) the regulator T.F.L who gives type approval or the supplier of cab
a replacement engine for these vehicles run into thousands of pounds
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Does the taxi have an MoT?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

London taxis have two Mot,s per year even from the first year of purchasing a new vehicle they also have a full check by an agent of the Regulator as to the conditions of fitness, this company is SGS the fault as described by the engineeer that rebuilt my blown up engine is a fault that is waiting to happen on every one of these vehicles and cannot be seen until the component fails (The large bearing inside the engine that pumps the oil around the engine, rocker bearing i believe its called) my vehicle seized at 128.000 miles which is not good for a 5 year old vehicle

i would be furious if a £10.000 car failed like this let alone a £39.000 taxi.

I understand. What is your question me about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Who do I claim redress from

It would be the dealer. It would not be the Regulator/TFL. They just do the MoT's etc. It would be the supplier of the car.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.