How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have a Mercedes sprinter van parked outside our home. The

This answer was rated:

We have a Mercedes sprinter van parked outside our home. The exhaust was stolen overnight. We went through our insurance for it to be replaced at a cost of 2.450. In time we noticed lots of problems with the diesel and oil which then led to a problem with the injectors. We had moved on to another garage by then who replaced the injectors for 700.00 which we paid ourselves. The van still remained to have smoking problems, we have taken to a Mercedes specialist who has told us a cheaper one was installed for 800.00 and not the insurance price of. We are now left with a damaged engine due to not having the correct exhaust fitted. The van now needs another engine as the damage has been done plus a Mercedes exhaust which is running into thousands of pounds. Is there anything we can do as so this is so unfair.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you know the cost of repair please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I have not followed up with the garage but told verbally by owner a replaced engine = £3,000 then the original exhaust, calatic something sorry don't know how to pronounce, estimated €5,000 due to damage.

You need to get an expert report to show what the cause of the repairs are.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The engineer visited the garage but failed to reinspect which surely is not our fault. We trusted the garage, we paid 25%on the premium due to this misunnfortune

I agree, which is why you can claim back any losses as a result.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.