How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am having trouble with a claim on my home insurance, due

This answer was rated:

I am having trouble with a claim on my home insurance, due to a water leak. Last winter I noticed mould appearing in my back vestibule, I had over a period of a few months 3different plumbers and an electrician who all diagnosed condensation. I eventually found a plumber who found the real reason, (a leaking water pipe under the floor). He advised that this should be attended to as there was quite a lot of water lying in the foundation of the house, and it was creeping up the walls, he said it would prevent further damage. I agreed and he had to remove the immersion tank to complete the job. It took 2 men 2 days and I was charged £727.20p he recommended that I get in touch with the insurance company to instal a dehumidifier to dry out the foundation. The insurance company asked me to get quotes for the restoration work, which they have agreed to, but they have only offered me £132 towards the plumbing bill. They asked me to get a statement from the plumber saying what he thought caused the leak, he replied saying in his opinion it was a frozen pipe, they do not believe this saying it was not cold enough in Scotland last winter to freeze a pipe, even though they have sent no one to inspect it. I am an 81 year old pensioner and I cannot afford to make up the difference. Can you please help.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out a formal complaint. If they still refuse to pay out you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman. They regulate Insurance Companies and can investigate your complaint for free as they are independent. They are located at:
That should resolve your issue. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was aware of the Ombudsman service already

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.