How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im in the process of breaking up with my wife we have been

This answer was rated:

im in the process of breaking up with my wife we have been married for 5 years, we purchased a house together i put in 150 thousand of my money she put in 80 thousand . she has another property which i have no monetary interest in which she says now that she wants to give to her children and not include in the settlement where do i stand here would i be able to get our own initial deposit back and splitt the equity
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any minor children involved?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
how much are any other assets worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have lived together for 7 yrs,no young children,all 30 onwards,property worth 800k,mortgage is260k,her property she has 1/4 share wort70k,it was her mothers, my money I put in came from the sale of my previous house wich I owned alone
Has she made any financial contribution to the other property during the marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was left to her and someone living there free looking after it,I should point out we have separate children from previous marriages
Since it was an inherited asset and one which has never been joint then I am afraid it is likely that the family court would indeed not regard the second property as a Matrimonial Asset.
With regard to the matrimonial home then the creatively short length of the relationship and the substantial difference in capital contribution does mean that there is a good chance that you will get a larger share of the equity - anywhere between 55/45 and 60/40
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome