How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Madam, I have been renting through a letting agent

This answer was rated:

Dear sir/madam,
I have been renting through a letting agent a 3 bed property for almost 8yrs. On the 4th November 2014 at approximately 5:30pm the house caught fire due to a fault with the tumble dryer which we had in the garage. As the fire services were on strike that day it took the volunteer fire services almost 30min to arrive on the scene as a result a fire that could have been contained to the garage caused severe damage estimated at £80 000. My family and I were displaced and moved from hotel to hotel initially at our own expense while everyone looked to point fingers at others to assist and while our household insurance looked for loopholes. We were eventually offered a place to stay in the middle of December. We have had no contact with the landlord at all not even to check if we were ok. We have suffered immensely as a result of this and now have just been informed that the repairs have been completed, the landlord is not prepared to refund our deposit, he wants an inventory done so he can claim for anything that is missing. What should we do. We were 4 living in the property at the time. My wife, 15yr old daughter and 5yr old son. What can we do? Please advise. Many thanks in anticipation of your response.
Shaun Pillay(07878018464)
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Firstly I would like the full deposit returned, and to be compensated for all we have been through. The fire services had me put up boards, was that my job at midnight? Landlors lack of acting with due care and consideration for what we have been through especially as we did everything we could to care for his property as though it were our own, never missed paying our rent on time and keeping the agents informed if anything was beyond our control.. I don't know what the law allows in these circumstances but surely humanity begs a response from all concerned.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund and compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund or compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.