How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71267
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In September 2014 myself and a friend brought my friend of

This answer was rated:

In September 2014 myself and a friend brought my friend of 55 years caravan for £4000. I paid £2000 for my half of the caravan and £1000 deposit for the rent the rest of the rent was to be paid in February, another £2000. My friend that was buying the caravan with me paid £1000 and was paying the rest in the new year. Unfortunately we didn't have a contract or anything I didn't think I needed it after knowing someone that many years. Then I fell out with first my friend that was buying the caravan with me, and my friend that owed the caravan took her side. I didn't contact my friend for a few months to let things calm down. I asked her about the caravan saying I couldn't afford it on my own, she said she had someone whom was interested in it so I would get my money back. The person decide not to have it so my friend wouldn't give me the money back saying she spent it all the remaining rent as it was due. My argument is why didn't she let me know before she paid the remaining rent, why she gave my other friend her money back. I had another friend that said she will be my partner in buying the caravan but my old friend wants to sell it back to the site when the year is up, its an old caravan so I don't think she will get much for it. I asked it we could rent it out to get my money back but as its still in her name she wont do it. I have only used the caravan in November for one and a half days, she said I can use it till September but £3000 for a few months is to much money if she won't let me have it. Is there anything I can do to get my money back or to have the caravan as mine. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you have her address? Don't give it to me but do you have it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I presume she can pay the award if you sued?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes sorry for delay I thought I had answered

You need to send her one letter demanding the outstanding amount within 14 days. Make clear that in default you will sue.
She may pay. These letters often do succeed.
If it fails then you can issue against her here
It is a very simple process and it is cheap and quick to sue. You will not need a solicitor so the costs will be minimal.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would you say in the letter, should I ask for the full amount? Thank you


Yes, absolutely. She owes the full amount.
You can accept a lesser sum at your choosing but not at this stage.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jo.

Can you help in how I should word the letter, as I have spoken to Rosemary about paying me back and she has refused saying I can use it till September but she will not give me my money back although she was going to at first. I told her I was getting legal advice.

Does she mean use the caravan until September?
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I can use the caravan till September but I didn't give her the money to rent it I gave it to her to buy the caravan. Thank you. Please help I don't know what to say to her anymore, as I don't want to argue with her

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't received your reply although it said you has replied. Thank you

No, I wouldn't get involved in a dispute with her.
Just do what I suggested above. Send her one letter giving her a deadline and making clear that you will sue if she does not comply.
then issue against her if she does not.