How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

4.5 years ago a friend of mine was about to be evicted from

Customer Question

4.5 years ago a friend of mine was about to be evicted from his house (due to outstanding mortgage payments). Whilst not in great financial shape myself at the time, i agreed to give him £10K (via my credit card) to help him on, on the proviso that he paid the interest each month and cleared the outstanding balance ASAP.
Fast forward 4 years and all had been going well - he never missed a payment (documented by me), but now has gone radio-silent (owing me 3 months of interest payments) and won't take my calls. I've continued making the monthly payments (as its my credit score this will impact), but with an outstanding balance of approx £7K remaining, what course of action can i take to ensure the debt is paid?
We didn't write anything down or sign (this is/was a close friend) but i have documented proof of providing him with the initial sum and monthly payments from his account to pay the interest.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?