How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have just found out that the solicitors who did the conveyance

This answer was rated:

We have just found out that the solicitors who did the conveyance one a property we purchased in 2011 failed to get our names onto the Land Registry , and it is still registered in a company name based in Jersey (the previous owners). It has taken 3 days to get a phone call back from the said solicitors who have done a 'search' of the land registry to 'protect our interests' and have now written to the other solicitors.
How do we stand legally on this matter?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What loss if any have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At the moment nothing financial, just totally shocked and stunned disbelief and a great deal of anxiety.

Indeed. Legally they need to rectify it at their expense. If you have suffered a loss you could claim for that but assuming they rectify it then you would only be due nominal compensation. You can of course complain to the firm and indeed the legal ombudsman
They can investigate your complaint against the firm and are independent. But you would be entitled to the work done free and nominal compensation.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can the Jersey company sell the property as it is still in their name? And if they did, would we be able to claim that loss from the solicitors ( he mentioned that we were guaranteed - not sure what that meant)?

How should we couch our grievance letter to them?

Would it be better to ask another solicitor to contact them on our behalf and make sure they get things sorted - or is this not the 'done thing'

Potentially they could but your solicitors have said they have protected your interest,
You want to set out how they have been negligent and confirmation it has been corrected free of charge
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How does doing a 'search' protect our interests?

Doing a search wont do anything but registering an interest will.
I only assume that is what they have done, pending rectification.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.