How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a female friend who is 72, I am . I stay at her house

This answer was rated:

I have a female friend who is 72, I am 69. I stay at her house on 2 nights a week and she visits mine on 2 other nights. We live 50 miles apart and each occupies and pays Council Tax on our own properties. We go on holidays together. I do not support my friend financially.
My friend has to work part time as her only source of income is her state pension. She wishes to apply for relief on her Council Tax above the 25% allowed for single persons. One question which she will be asked is whether or not she is cohabiting.
As we are each financially self sufficient (as outlined above) could we be considered to be cohabiting.
Your advice would be appreciated.
Nigel Evans
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Yes, you could. What 'cohabiting' means is always very badly defined. Generally it means sharing expenses. On your account, you are not.
You do need to declare your arrangement to them. Overall, they should conclude that she is entitled to the reduction. People living alone do legitimately have people staying on occasions. Councils are aware that people have relatives down over Christmas and Easter and even put people up for periods of months while they are in between properties. That doesn't affect the reduction as long as it is disclosed.
Since you pay council tax elsewhere and you don't have tenants in that address though they are almost certain to accept that this is just a relationship arrangement rather than a living one and she is entitled to the reduction.
However, she must declare it. If she does not and they find out afterwards they will presume the worst.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thank Jo. Much appreciated. Will follow your advice.


No problem.
All the best.