How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a tenant issue in an HMO. The tenant is 4 months

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant issue in an HMO.
The tenant is 4 months in arrears and it appears his mobile number no longer works and isn't employed at what I thought was his employer.
He also has not visited the house and his room in over 3 years.
He is a hoarder and his room is filled with crap ( I appreciate still *his* possessions )
What should I do?
Do I still need a section 21/8, CCJ and a possession order served?
It's fairly obvious after 3 years he is unlikely to ever return.
What must I /should I do with his stuff even if I gain a possession order?
I can't contact him!. His room is wrecked due to moths etc. quite literally ate the carpet away. Also previously (as witnessed by the council ) he had mental issues - I had to remove over 100 bottles of urine from his room as they obviously posed a health issue ( that was a fun day ).
I just wish to recover my room and re-let it.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know when his fixed term ran out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


The AST contract was for 12 months in 2005. So ended sometime ago!

He hasn't been to the property for over 3 years. This can be proven as the door lock broke before then and has since been replaced - he has yet to collect the key!!!



Thanks. A section 8 notice you can issue and they need to resolve within 2 weeks. Section 21 you give 2 months notice. So it depends on how long you want to wait. You can issue both and seek an order for possession after 2 weeks if the breach is not rectified.
If you get possession you keep the stuff for 28 days then dispose of it.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.



So a section 8 means waiting 2 weeks and then going for the possession order?. This is my quickest route?


Yes that is correct.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you