How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am being investigated fraud

This answer was rated:

i am being investigated for benefit fraud
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I received a letter asking me to attend an interview under caution. Relating to a council tax benefit I made about 5 years ago, ownership of property and undeclared income. And for present receiving 25% single person discount.I think, I didn't declare that I had a leasehold interest in a shop with a basement flat which was being rented out and I was getting the rent. At the time I went to my local job centre to sign on and get council tax benefit, I was going through a seperation with my husband, I wasnt thinking straight and I didn't declare the income. The person renting the flat was on housing benefit so the council have all the information they need to link everything up. Can they still check all my bank accounts?
Did you fail to declare anything and income? Do you know how much you earnt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I did not declare about £3,000.
Ok, yes they can check your bank accounts and probably already have. They tend not to call you in for interview unless they have the evidence already. They have power under law to get access to all your bank accounts.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what can they do? I'm now worried they will want me to repay them for the whole period that I made a claim for which includes unemployment benefit and council tax benefit. The period was about 1 and a half years. I don't have the money except I own my own house. Can they make me sell my house?
They can make you pay back the whole period, just the period which you were NOT entitled to.
They could, worst case make you sell the house but unlikely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess you mean they can't make me pay back for the whole period....
5years ago, when I 1st made the claim it was because me and my husband seperated. I'm also worried they will ask me prove he was not living at home. I know for at least a year he stayed with friends and family where he was not paying rent. His bank account is not here but his car and insurance is still registered here. I did have lots of documentation from the solicitors I went to but I have now thrown out a lot of paperwork and when I called the solicitors the other day to ask for their copies, they are no longer trading!
They can only make you pay back for the period to which you were not entitled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could they ask me to prove where my husband resided?
Yes they might.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.