How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

We sold a property through a reputable Estate Agents last July,

This answer was rated:

We sold a property through a reputable Estate Agents last July, the value was £135,000 but we have since found out that the said property with no further amendments sold for £169,000 one month later. The valuator has since been dismissed but we feel we trusted this company to give us a fair deal and have been unfairly treated. Could you give me some advice please
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If you are being provided with a service the implied term under S.13 of Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 applies - any service must be provided with reasonable care and skill.
Breach of this section is treated as contractual claim. You claim for any losses that are reasonably foreseeable consequence of that breach.
In order to bring a claim you would need to prove that the valuer was negligent and breached the implied term under S.13.
The only way I would believe that you could successfully do this is to obtain the opinion of a second independent valuer - you would need to this to show that the first valuer had been negligent and as a result you suffered loss. Proving you suffered a loss - which is key to any claim - is straightforward as you have property to compare your sale against.
These types of court claims have a very specific formula known as a pre action protocol. If you do not follow the pre action protocol ( carefully when bringing a claim you could penalised in costs. I would therefore recommend you use a solicitor to commence bringing a claim.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you