How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My mother recently died and the property that she lived

Customer Question

Hi my mother recently died and the property that she lived in was joint with my sister and her . However my mothers name was the lead name . My sister is now putting claim to the property saying my mother made a will out in 2010 leaving it all to her . Is this illegal as I was made power of eterny to all her affairs in the year 2000 , with my mother signing the paper with out my knowledge . As my mother was legally registered blind . I have also relieved a letter dated 11-06-2015 giving me 14 days to leave the property by the 23-06-2015 . Which I know is illegal the must give 28 days by law . Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How was the purchase of the property funded?
Who is named as Executor on her Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
The house was purchased by a loan in the sisters name and mothers name , and in the solicitors letter it says the writer prepared the will and recalls her quite well ! So I am assuming my mother did the will , however as I stated she was blind and I have have legal paper work from 2009 not officially as I thought it was 2000 which it was but not made legal till 2009 thanks .
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Who paid the deposit on the house and does the paperwork say whether it was hailed as "beneficial joint tenants" or as " tenants in common"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi the problem I have there is that my sister has all the paper work , I have not seen a copy of the will or anything else . So I can not answer the questions at the moment , if it as you stated where will I stand . Thanks .
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
In fact you can find this out for £4 using the Land Registry
If there is wording that says that there can be no disposition unless there are two signatories then it is Tenants in Common