How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We have sold our property and the exchange has taken place.

This answer was rated:

we have sold our property and the exchange has taken place. Our neighbour made a false claim stating the my wife hit their car. my insurer and their insurer checked the evidence and the neighbour lost the claim. now he is threatening to put a writ on our house via third party to prevent us from moving. Is this this possible?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please be rest assured, that your neighbour is in dreamland!

The only way a party can put a charge or Restriction on someone else's property is if they have previously issued Court proceedings against the other party for damages and been successful, and then re-applied to Court because that party has not paid the damages that the Court have awarded (ie in your case this would entail him having to take you to Court , be successful, then reapply to Court due to you then not paying what the Court ordered you to pay).

I'm not sure where he got the word "writ" from- this is a claim made in the High Court where a party has a claim normally over £50,000!

I therefore feel your neighbour is being rather vindictive to say the least and is trying to bully you into agreeing to pay him whatever he is claiming.

I hope this assists and puts your mind at rest.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you