How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have had a terrible experience with a mechanics business

Customer Question

I have had a terrible experience with a mechanics business and they wrote my van off and damaged another due to faulty workmanship and im out of pocket by over £6000 and want to sue them , how can I find a effective solicitor to do this and how do I go about sueing some one rather than the waste of time small claims
this is the situation - I haven't sent them this letter yet
Britannia Workshop Ltd
I booked my van In with Britannia Workshops Limited to have new brakes fitted, as the van was with yourselves I though it may as well have a service while with you. On collecting the van it had not travelled more than 3 miles when it was engulfed in smoke evidently it was over filled with oil and as subsequently rendered my van a right off.
I was happy for you to collect the van and hold it while your insurance company sent an independent inspector to view the vehicle, however I never gave my verbal or written consent for the van to be worked on prior to the inspectors visit as n my opinion the van and what the inspector eventually viewed has been manipulated by the same mechanic who caused the problem in the first place.
I can-not understand how any reasonable thinking person would work on the engine before the independent inspector had viewed it unless it was to alter what they wanted to be seen.
You told myself and my colleague in your office it would be 2/3 days for the inspectors visit and this turned in to over 3 weeks??? Meaning the van was open to alteration for a long period of time.
I have had to incur additional hire costs all the time as well as losing a job meaning some of my staff were without work due to this situation.
You told me to deal with the insurance company myself but they would not talk to us as the policy I in your name.
The letter to you should us which you sent to the insurance company was deliberately misleading them as you stated it was booked in for a service and then the brakes which was the opposite way round. That van has been in perfect mechanical service since I bought it esp. since I have it serviced on average we very 9 months.
At the same pint the very same mechanic had the simple task of fitting a new bonnet opening handle and re fit 4 bolts / fixings in the bumper to my Citroen Berlingo this was the same “mechanic” that worked on my Vivaro. The work he done was appalling, the bonnet handle fell off, the heat shield had no fixings in apart from one cable tie through one of the holes and the bumper had a lot of damage to it. I had to get the AA to move the van to the Citeron workshop as it was unsafe to drive according to the AA officer who attended and the bonnet was loose meaning it could have opened up against the windscreen at some point due to the fitting of the handle and its adjustment.
Financial ignoring the terrible levels of stress and work lost due to your companies workmanship im owed in my opinion
£4200-00 to replace the Vivaro
£1964-00 to cover the hire of vans due to the problems caused by your company
This totals £6164.""
I haven't sent this letter to them yet !!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
If you sue them it will be a small claim as its below. £10,000 which is the limit. I can tel you what to do if you want ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Please

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI this was some months ago now ! as im not after a refund I want damages for the damaged van and the costs involved

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Indeed, then claim for the cost of repair etc. I should have been clear, refund cost of repair.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.