How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Is it possible to change/correct place of birth in a

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to change/correct place of birth in a British Passport. I claimed Asylum in 2000 and hold british passport for over 8 years.
My father had a carpet selling business and due to the nature of the business my parent used to move around between Jalalabad (Afghanistan) and Peshawar (Pakistan) both cities are across the border. My parents were in the city of Peshawar when I was born (1970s) but my parent could not get my birth certificate while in Peshawar as in those days there was not much awareness or a process of issuing birth certificates. After sometime of my birth my parent went back to Jalalabad and when I started school my parent wrote down in my school’s documents that I was born in Jalalabad.
Only last year, I found about this from an uncle who said he was with my father (deceased) at the time of my birth and confirmed that myself and one of his (uncle’s) son was born on the same day in Peshawar. I also spoke to other friends/family members to verify this and I’m now sure that I was born in Peshawar. First I thought it doesn’t make any difference to me now and I shall leave it as it is but recently I changed my mind and i thought i shall correct it.
I obtained a birth certificate from Peshawar (Pakistan) and an Affidavit confirming my birth in Peshawar. I sent these with my Naturalisation certificate to HO Liverpool to correct this in my Naturalisation certificate but they simply said No as the information given at the time of naturalisation were correct and they said it can not be changed now. They said all department work differently and that i shall try contacting the Passport office if they can correct it.
I am about to send my documents to the Passport office and I would like to know if the evidence i have is enough or do i need other documents etc.
Many thanks
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I dont mind waiting for few days. I was expecting a lot of replies thinking there will be too many experts on JustAnswers.

I will be gratful if you find someone expert in my questioned area who have good knowledge and experience, I dont want someone just reply for the sack of it.

Kind regards,


We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Could you clarify what documents do you wish to send?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

British Passport

Passport form (renewal/change form)

Birth Certificate (from pakistan)

Affidavit (from pakistan)

2 photos

I dont want to send my naturalisation certificate as it has my incorrect place of birth hence.

Thank you for your reply.
That is fine you do not need to send your naturalisation certificate. I have had the same experience with one of my client she was an asylum seeker and thus the details given on her initial documents with the home office were incorrect.
I then assisted her in amending the details on her passport and the passport agency issued her with the new passport having amended the details without any questions. I believe the documents you have submitted are miss one vital document which is a an affidavit from you confirming what you wished to be changed and why, this needs to be drafted by a solicitor in the UK and then signed and witnessed in front of a solicitor. Once you have obtained the affidavit the rest of the documents seem sufficient.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Do i need to attest the birth certificate too? As this birth certificate from pakistan and not UK. My affidavit is attested and confirming the same details as in my birth certificate.

Thank you for your reply.
You only need to Birth Certificate to be attested if you are not sending the original. I would still recommend an affidavit from the UK as it would then make the process easier as to confirming who advised you in the UK and confirming their credentials.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you