How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Booked a wedding venue in November 2014 and paid £500 deposit

This answer was rated:

Booked a wedding venue in November 2014 and paid £500 deposit on the day. Paid £3000 further payment of which £1500 was a 'compulsory payment. Had to cancel this due to exceptional circumstances in february - venue made aware. Delays on their part meant my issue was only addressed in May 2015 and £1000 offered back to me.
Contract states clearly £500 deposit is non refundable only. yes the £1500 compulsary payment is stated but nothing identifies this as deposit nor is it stated as non-refundable.
Venue is refusing to give the £3000 payments back. Can i legally submit a claim for this monies?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Alex!
Am i legally right in my thoughts that this money is refundable to me?
Yes, save for the £500.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you :)
Happy to help!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex!
The CAB advised me that this would be a breach of contract on my part and they could pursue me for the full amount?! I gave them enough time/notice to resolve and re-book, is this true?
No, they are wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex. final point - do i have to give them the 14 days notice? I did email them friday but asked for a response by Monday failing which i'd log a claim.
Ok - then you can do it now if you wish then.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Perfect! thank you :)