How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71032
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner and I have just separated. We have been living

This answer was rated:

My partner and I have just separated. We have been living together for four and a half years and got engaged in November. He has now decided to leave me for his ex wife. We rent and we are both on the tenancy agreement. He has promised to pay the rent and home utilities until October when the contract runs out and he has put this into writing which has been signed by both of us and witnessed. He was the main breadwinner and I was named in his will as the beneficiary of his pension. Do I have any legal standing at all?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you have any children together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, he has four children from previous marriages that I have looked after with him when he's had custody of them. Every other weekend with the girls and four times a year with the boys

Are you asking if you can claim maintenance from him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I'm asking if there's anything I'm legally entitled to x

I am sorry then but it is bad news.
I'm afraid you have no claim against him at all. You are not a wife and so cannot claim maintenance. The truth is that wives do not get maintenance much now unless there are child care issues. You have no children and so cannot claim for them.
While the will stands you remain the beneficiary but he can change that again as he wishes.
In relation to the tenancy agreement, he is named tenant upon it and so is liable as much as you for the rent but since you are living there and he is not a court might well not be happy to make an order against him.
I'm very sorry but even partners with children cannot claim for themselves.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you