How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am going through a separation and my wife , after an

Customer Question

I am going through a separation and my wife , after an argument about money, has stopped the children talking to me over the phone. Is that allowed ? And if she takes it further how should I react?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 children - 9 , 7 and 4
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What other contact do you have with them and when did you last see them - or speak to them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw them most days albeit it briefly sometimes just picking up from clubs etc and they stayed with me at least 2 nights per week. In fact they slept at my house weds, thurs and sat last week. But since Sunday she has forced the kids to hang up my calls and I had an email yesterday from my eldest that said "we're not allowed to speak". I have text my wife to find out why but she is not replying. I don't want to turn up at the house and cause a scene as that would not be good for the kids.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The law says that children are entitled to ocntact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
The court is particularly unimpressed when children are used as pawns in arguments over money.
Your starting point is to arrange an urgent appointment for a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting with a local Family mediator
If your ex will not mediate then your only option will be to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Oder - which can be enforced.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details