How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I working at morrisons supermarket. there has

This answer was rated:

I working for 15years at morrisons supermarket. there has been a restructure and as a result my post is no longer there
so I either went to team manager from my post as supervisor or I droped to a sales assistant which I have done
during all this restructure I was given a redundancy package , but was told by law they had to , but had no intention of paying out. I am in the union but they have not been very helpful. All I wanted to know is is this legal.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Were you told you could take the drop in role as an alternative to redundancy?
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Redundancy was just shown to me .they said there are enough staff members to fill postions so no will be given.

If you are now on a lower role then they cannot say that there is no redundancy situation. They can offer you a lower role as an alternative to redundancy but if you do not wish to accept it then you are entitled to a redundancy payment.
Normally you have 28 days from the date you start in the new role as a 'trial' period, after which you can say you are not happy to take the role and wish to take redundancy. The employer can only refuse this if they can show that the role is a 'suitable alternative' to redundancy (which means on the same salary and status).
You should tell your employer you do not believe the new role amounts to a suitable alternative to redundancy and ask for your redundancy payment.
You can also engage ACAS early claim concilation for assistance with this. You will find details on the ACAS website
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you