How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am asking whether I have parental responsibility as my son

This answer was rated:

I am asking whether I have parental responsibility as my son is not bilogically mine but I was married to his mother at time of birth in January 2013
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The biological father does not know and is not a UK national so is out of the equation, what I need to know is if ever my wife and I separate, do I have full rights the same as a biological father or am I deemed just a stepfather sorry for these questions but this little boy is my world
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically am I classed under British law as his father, thanks Clare.
Yes at present you have Parental Responsibility for the child.
This could change if your ex obtains a DNA test proving that you are not the biological father and has your name removed from the birth certificate BUT you would in fact still have the right to apply for ongoing contact with the child due to the existing close emotional bond - after all you ar ein fact his "dady"
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you