How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

ThereI have a moped registered in my name. I have had

Customer Question

Hi there
I have a moped registered in my name. I have had insurance on my moped since March. I rang my insurance to add my brother to my insurance policy on Saturday 13th June 15 at a cost of £280 which I paid myself and new contract was issued with a 14 day cooling off period.
On Monday 15th June 2015 my brother had a collision with a car and damaged her bumper. They exchanged details and agreed to settle it by way of him paying her £300 in installments. He did not contact the police to report this accident or the insurance company.
My brother subsequently had a crash today and did not stop and drove away from the scene.
Because I am concerned he will write off the moped I own in the near future, I intend to take steps to stop him using it.
Knowing that there have been two crashes, would I be legally able to use the insurance cooling off period to cancel the policy (and then notify him that he cannot legally drive it).
Also, I would like to know if I do cancel the policy, if the people he crashed into could pursue me legally as the owner of the moped through other means such as a small claims court or whether he would remain liable as he was the driver at the time and was on the policy at the time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
The cooling-off period starts from when the policy begins or when you receive your policy documents, whichever is later. You should get a refund of any premiums you have already paid. However, your insurer may take off a small amount to cover days when the policy was in force. They may also charge you a small administration fee.
The people would not be able to pursue you personally as owner, but the driver of the vehicle. By not reporting the first accident the policy is probably void in any event as you are likely to have to report it in 24 hours.
Similarly any accidents should be reported to the Police.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?