How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner and i separated 5years ago, we had lived in the

Customer Question

My partner and i separated 5years ago, we had lived in the same property for 20 years which was bought 4 years after we met and was put in his name as i also had a property which i kept for a potential pension income, but had to move back into it after the split.
I have bank statements from 2001 to 2010 that indicate that I spent aprox 138k on both properties for various outgoings, unfortunately I don't have any statements for the first ten years.
My ex said he would finish the work on our home and sell it pay me my share.
The building is a converted bank and required a vast amount of work to make it saleable, unfortunately very little progress has been made in the last 5 years.
Our son still lives with his Father but is now considering moving out and my fear is that once this happens my ex will sell the property and i will get nothing.
I was told about something called a Lien and informed that applying for one may help my case. Please Advise.
Kind Regards
Sue Dixon
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Do you have any documents or paper work to show your contribution to the property? For example did you give a deposit? Or Did you sign a mortgage deed?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the property is in his name, but it is a endowment mortgage and I paid the endowment payment for the duration, he also remortgaged in 2002 which incured another endowment policy which i also paid.

As I said I also have bank statements with all other payments made on the property including, BT, water, tv license, sky, insurance, gas, electric & mortgage payments made in 2001. I did pay mortgage payments prior to 2001 but unfortunately only have bank statements from 2001 onwards. The property was purchased in 1990.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am still awaiting reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Other. I havnt recieved an answer to my query. Can I assume i've had my 38 pounds worth.