How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Following the death of their brother, in N Ireland, three siblings

This answer was rated:

Following the death of their brother, in N Ireland, three siblings have inherited the family home through his Will.
The three siblings would like to transfer the home to one of them with proportionate value transfer to each,
Ie the sibling getting the house would pay the other two siblings 1/3 of the value to each.
Are there any tax implications? If they agreed to a private transfer of money could the house value be put at a nominal £1.
Is it necessary to transfer the title to the house to the three siblings firstly and then to the one taking possession, or, is a one time transfer directly to the one taking possession possible?
If there are any tax implications what is the most tax-efficient way to proceed
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask why you wish to put a nominal £1 as the value?
When did the deceased actually pass away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare great to have your help.

That was only an idea to facilitate transfer.

The deceased died last November.

The solicitor we are using is a friend of family and has made a number of mistakes one was getting a beneficiary to sign the will but that has been resolved.

That solicitor is now suggesting that the house firstly be transferred to the three siblings and then to the one who will eventually own it.

There is no reason to do that.
For Clarity were they left the house specifically - or the estate in total
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The estate in total which included the house. Less than the ITT

In that case the answer is simple.
The sibling who wants the property "buys" it from the estate by paying money in to it so that there is sufficient for an equal division to be made
There is no need for the property to be transferred into the joint names - it can come from the Estate via an Assent
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you